J.A. Skinner State Park, South Hadley, MA



You may hike up this mountain from the bottom or from a midway point. I recommend driving up to the top parking area, which is next to the Summit House. This costs $2.
Climbing up the wooden stairs to the wraparound deck, you'll see beautiful views all around. Sturdy railings which are tall enough for me to lean my elbows on. However, my stomach has turned more than once as my kids carelessly flung themselves at it.
Inside the house (Which is open only on weekends and holidays from Memorial Day until mid-October) are some rooms decorated with period antiques and style, and various items that represent the history of this building.
A path leads through some picnic areas and to several lookout points along the ridge. Huge boulders are fun to climb for the kids. One particular rock pile boasts an official summit marker.

No comments:

Post a Comment